Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Aerospace Technology Center

1. What are the minimum requirements for entering the Airframe and Powerplant program?

The FAA regulations states that you must be 18 years of age or older prior to be issued an airframe and powerplant license. Also, you MUST be able to read and understand English. UA - Pulaski Tech requires that you have graduated from an approved high school or received your GED.

2. How much does the Airframe and Powerplant program cost?

The entire airframe and powerplant program cost is less than $16,800 and based on the current UA - Pulaski Tech cost per credit hour fees per semester over the five semester program. There are some additional costs for books and tools, but they are not excessive. We are able to offer this program at this rate because we are a state supported school. Other schools charge up to $50,000 to provide you the same services we provide.

3. Besides tuition costs, what other costs are involved?

Over the 20 month program you will need to purchase text books costing approximately $375 (subject to change). In addition to text books we require a minimum amount of personal tools. Most of the tools we ask you to have are standard and, depending on the manufacture, cost to you will be minimal.

4. Is there financial aid available to aviation school students?

Yes! Interested individuals may contact the Office of Student Financial Aid or call (501) 812-2289 for information concerning available grants, loans and scholarships. You can also complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically.

5. Does the aviation school program accept the GI Bill® for payment?

There is a VA representative available who will assist you in submitting the necessary documentation to start your GI Bill® payments. Students will want to accomplish this prior to the beginning of class.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

6. Are people on different rehabilitation programs (VA rehab or Arkansas rehab) eligible for the aviation program?

A representative from our Office of Student Financial Aid will be able to provide you with more information concerning rehab programs.

7. I'm currently serving in the military. Does UA - Pulaski Tech's Aerospace program accept tuition assistance?

Tuition assistance is accepted, you will have to submit your approved tuition assistance form from your unit to our Office of Student Accounts prior to beginning of class.

8. Having been in the military, does the FAA accept any of my past experience towards my Airframe and Powerplan certification?

The FAA can give credit to individuals who qualified as powerplant technicians (jet engine) or crew chief/plane captains. If you have any questions concerning your status, please call us at (501) 835-5420. The FAA bases their certification on your AFSC/MOS and years of experience. An interview with the FAA is required.

9. Does the Aerospace Technology Center give credit for past experience?

If students provide documentation that they have received more instruction and are qualified in a specific subject area, the Aerospace Technology Center can provide students the opportunity of testing out of a subject. For example, if a student is a certified welder they would be allowed to test out of the welding subject offered by the Aerospace Technology Center.

10. I've received certification from the FAA for Powerplant (or Airframe), can I still enroll in the Aerospace Maintenance Program?

The Aerospace Technology Center will assist students in every way to complete there airframe and powerplant certification requirements. Student's only delay may be waiting for needed subjects to be offered.

11. Is the Aerospace Technology Center School the only way to get Airframe and Powerplant certification?

No, the FAA regulation mentions three ways to meet the A&P certification requirements: 1) Work in the civilian industry under the supervision of a licensed A & P mechanic, documenting all training for a period of 18 months for each rating (Airframe or Powerplant). 2) Military experience in an FAA approved field, or 3) Attend an FAA approved technical school such University of Arkansas - Pulaski Technical College.

12. How long are your classes and do you offer night classes?

The day program runs for 5 semester or 20 months. Classes begin at 7:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday. During the summer semester classes run Monday through Friday. The evening program runs from 5 p.m. through 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday until completion of the program, approximately 30 months.

13. Once I complete the program does UA - Pulaski Tech issue my airframe and powerplant license?

No, once a student receives a course completion certificate for either powerplant or airframe students are eligible to take the federal exam(s). UA-PTC Aerospace is affiliated with CATS testing, an FAA authorized testing center for the written tests. We also have affiliated Designated Mechanics Examiners (DMEs) who are authorized by the FAA to give the Oral and Practical Exams and, once you have passed all exams, issue the A & P certificate.

14. Is the cost for FAA testing included in my tuition?

Yes, the cost of the federal written exams and oral/practical exams are included in the tuition costs.

15. Does the Aerospace Technology Center have a job placement policy?

No, however, we remain in contact with the major aviation companies in the Central Arkansas area as well as potential employers who contact us via the internet and other placement agencies. We are usually able to provide students good potential employment information.

16. As an airframe and powerplant mechanic how much can I expect to earn?

Currently, in the Little Rock area, beginning hourly wages is around $16 to $18 per hour with little or no experience. If you have previous aviation experience you may qualify for a high starting wage. Wages vary across the United States. Also there are job opportunities available overseas.

17. Does UA - Pulaski Tech offer Aviation degree programs?

Yes, besides offering a certification program for airframe and powerplant mechanics at this location, you may enroll in four additional, 3 credit hour, classes at the main campus in the area of general studies and receive an associates in applied science degree in aviation maintenance technology. UA - Pulaski Tech also has a relationship with Henderson University for transferring college credits towards a bachelors degree aviation maintenance management.