Skip To Main Content

You Are Here:

Federal Work-Study Program

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Student outsideThe Federal Work-Study Program is a campus-based program that provides part-time employment for students who qualify based on financial need. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for financial need to be determined. Upon completion of the FAFSA, students should contact the UA-PTC Office of Financial Aid to see if they are eligible to participate in the Work-Study program.

What’s the Process?

  1. Student locates their desired job(s) on the Federal Work-Study Opportunities webpage.
  2. Student contacts the supervisor listed in the job description to set-up an interview.
  3. After the interview, the supervisor contacts the Financial Aid Office to verify student’s eligibility.
  4. If eligible, student and supervisor complete and submit the following documents:
    1. Arkansas Criminal History Record Check
    2. UA-PTC Employment Application
    3. Federal Work-Study Packet
  5. Supervisor will be notified when the student is approved to work.

Applications for employment with UA-PTC’s Federal Work-Study Program are accepted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disability of qualified handicapped individuals. UA-PTC complies with nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provision and laws.

Work-Study pay schedules and time-sheets are available on the Campus Portal under the Student tab.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How many credit hours do I need to qualify for work-study?

Students must be enrolled at least part-time (6 hours) to qualify for work-study.

2. How do I find a work-study job?

All work-study opportunities are located on the Federal Work-Study Listings webpage. Once you identify a position that interests you, contact the department to arrange an interview.

3. How many hours can I work per week?

Twenty (20) hours is the maximum number of hours a student can work in a week. Depending on funding, students may be awarded less than 20 hours per week.

4. How much can work-study students earn?

By law, departments are required to pay their workers no less than minimum wage ($11 per hour as of Jan. 1, 2021).

5. Can I work during class?

No. Students are not permitted to work during instructional time – even if the class was cancelled or dismissed early.

6. Do I receive any health benefits as a work-study student?

No. However, there are some benefits available for student workers. To learn more, contact the Office of Human Resource at [email protected].

7. As a supervisor, how do I request a work-study position and/or post a position to the college website?

Complete and submit the Federal Work-Study Job Posting form located in the Campus Portal under the Employee tab.