Skip To Main Content

You Are Here:

Frequently Asked Questions

Friday, January 21, 2022

UA-PTC Students

1. What forms are needed to apply for financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each year. Students can submit their application electronically by using FAFSA on the web. In addition, students will need to complete a University of Arkansas - Pulaski Technical College financial aid data form. Please note that official transcripts are required from all previously attended institutions.

2. What types of financial aid do I apply for when I complete the FAFSA?

Eligibility for all forms of federal financial aid, including PELL Grant, FSEOG Grant, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Work-Study are determined when you complete the FAFSA. In addition, this form is used as an application for state aid programs.

3. When will I receive my financial aid refund?

This information is available on our Dates and Disbursements webpage.

4. What is UA-PTC’s Title IV Code and why do I need it?

UA - Pulaski Tech's Title IV code is 014167. When a student enters this code on the FAFSA, UA - Pulaski Tech will automatically receive an electronic version of the students processed Student Aid Report (SAR).

> back to top

5. I probably don't qualify for aid. Why should I apply?

Many families mistakenly believe they don't qualify for aid, preventing themselves from receiving aid for which they may be eligible simply because they fail to apply. In addition, there are sources of aid, such as Unsubsidized Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), available regardless of need. The FAFSA form is free. It does not obligate the student or the parent in any way. There is no reason not to apply.

> back to top

6. Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

No. Students can apply for financial aid at any time after October 1. To be awarded federal aid students must be admitted to a degree seeking program. To receive funds, you must be admitted and enrolled at UA - Pulaski Tech.

> back to top

7. I sent in my FAFSA over four weeks ago, but haven't heard anything. What should I do?

Students who haven't received a Student Aid Report (SAR) should call the Federal processor at (319) 337-5665 or 1 (800) 433-3243. Students can also check the status of their application by visiting

> back to top

8. I'm independent of my parents. I don't live with them, I file my own taxes and they are not helping me with college expenses. Can I file for financial aid without using their income information?

The federal aid programs are built on the premise that educating a child is a family responsibility. The FAFSA gives specific criteria for determining when a student may file for federal aid without using parental income information. If there are other extenuating circumstances please feel free to contact the financial aid office for further assistance.

> back to top

9. How do I transfer my financial aid to UA-PTC?

Financial aid does not transfer from one school to another school. Each school must determine your eligibility for financial aid. It may be exactly the same at each school or it may differ considerably. The first thing students should do is contact the other school and cancel financial aid and notify the appropriate office that you are transferring. Students will then need to add UA - Pulaski Tech to their FAFSA. You can phone 1 (800) 433-3243 and request that your Student Aid Report be sent to UA - Pulaski Tech or visit UA - Pulaski Tech's school code is 014167. When these documents are received by the Financial Aid Office, we will contact you concerning the status of your application.

> back to top

10. How do I apply for a student loan?

UA - Pulaski Tech will automatically determine the students loan eligibility when setting up the students financial aid award package. Students will have the option to accept, reduce, or cancel their loan award.

> back to top

11. What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized loan?

For both loans, the principal (the original amount a student borrows) is deferred until six months after the student graduates or stops attending school at least half-time. As its name implies, a SUBSIDIZED loan is one where the government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school. An UNSUBSIDIZED loan is one where the government does not pay the interest while the student is in school, that is, the student is responsible for paying the interest.

> back to top

12. What is "loan counseling," an "entrance interview" or "entrance counseling session"?

All of these terms refer to the same thing: loan counseling. The federal government requires all first-time student loan borrowers to participate in loan counseling prior to receiving a Federal Student Loan. During this online session, students will review basic facts about loans, managing their education expenses and their rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower.

> back to top

13. Can I cancel my loan if I change my mind?

Yes. Students may cancel all or a portion of their loan by informing the Financial Aid office in writing.

> back to top

14. My application has been selected for verification, what does that mean?

The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA’s for a review process called “verification.” This means UA-PTC must compare the information from your FAFSA with financial documents that you must provide to our office. You will be required to submit a copy of your federal tax return transcript and verification worksheet. If you are a dependent student, you will also be required to submit a copy of your parent’s federal tax return transcript. You may also be asked to submit other documents, such as proof of the amount of un-taxed income you or your parents receive, or verification of the family’s assets.

> back to top