Skip To Main Content

You Are Here:

News

Friday, April 26, 2024
PTK winter project helps GYST House at Christmas

January 23, 2023

While the winter months may bring cold weather, Phi Theta Kappa’s winter project did not! Over the course of fall semester, PTK gathered donations for GYST House, a drug and alcohol treatment center located in Southwest Little Rock. It is with great pleasure that UA-PTC’s Honor Society Chapter was able to collect and donate a roomful of essentials!

The GYST House faculty director and staff were extremely grateful for all the donations. The senior staff mentioned that “they were so happy that they would have something to put under the tree for each family member in the house.”

An "attitude of gratitude" from the PTK officers:

“We’re extremely honored to be able to be a part of this service project,” said Malachi Steward, PTK President. “As a former constituent of GYST House, I’m extremely grateful to be able to help and give back and help show people that recovery works.”

“Working on this project was one of the highlights of my semester, I believe that it was a valuable experience for both me and the rest of the members of our organization," said PTK Vice President Trevor Hunting. "Thank you to the people who kindly donated and the PTK members, officers, and advisors who made this drive possible.”

Alona Chamblee, PTK Public Relations Officer echoed Trevor's sentiments, saying “It has been a privilege to work with PTK on the GYST House service project this semester. As someone who has witnessed many close loved one’s struggle with the disease of addiction, I have nothing but respect for this organization that makes recovery possible.”

“Helping others makes me feel like I’m fulfilling my true purpose in life. It’s a feeling that money can’t buy.” Nyokia Flesouras-Bolden, PTK Secretary added.

Jessica Wise, PTK Faculty Advisor, said, "Each year, our hope is that we will have strong PTK officers to lead this important group, and we are so impressed with the dedication of this officer team. I loved being a part of this service project!"

Meredith Stanton, Faculty Advisor, echoed Jessica's sentiments, "I was incredibly proud to see the efforts of PTK and the campus come together to serve an important cause in our community."

Amanda Kennedy, Chapter Advisor, ended by saying, "It is truly an honor and a privilege to witness and be a part of all the amazing things that our PTK students are doing. We are truly proud of the leadership they bring to our institution.”

About PTK

Phi Theta Kappa is an international honor society that promotes academic excellence. Members are eligible to compete for scholarships, to participate in regional, national, and international meetings and institutes, and to attend workshops on leadership and scholarships. Additional information about Phi Theta Kappa is available by visiting www.uaptc.edu/ptk.

Want to get Involved?

If you’re interested in getting involved with Phi Theta Kappa, please contact UA-PTC’s PTK Faculty Advisor Jessica Wise at [email protected].

Back to Newsroom

Other News You Might Like