1. What is TRiO Veterans Upward Bound?
TRiO Veterans Upward Bound is a federally funded program designed to help qualified military veterans prepare to enroll in a post secondary university, community college or vocational/technical program. TRiO Veterans Upward Bound provides skills and advice to enable veterans to achieve their academic goals.
2. Does the TRiO Veterans Upward Bound program at UA - Pulaski Technical College only help those that want to attend UA-PTC?
Definitely not! We will help any qualified veteran no matter what school he or she plans to attend. We will help you choose the best program and school to fit your individual needs.
3. What must I do to qualify for TRiO Veterans Upward Bound?
Please visit our How to Qualify webpage.
4. Do TRiO Veterans Upward Bound classes cost anything to attend?
NO! All TRiO Veterans Upward Bound classes, books and supplies are FREE to qualified veterans.
5. What will TRiO Veterans Upward Bound do for me?
When you begin the TRiO Veterans Upward Bound program you will work one-on-one with an academic advisor to discuss your interests and your short-term and long-term goals. Once you have completed academic assessments to determine your strengths and weaknesses, we develop a plan to help you reach your goals. You can work on any academic weaknesses by attending our FREE academic refresher courses, tutoring or by working independently on our computer tutoring programs. Finally, we will assist you with school applications and the financial aid process. We will also help you make contacts with other agencies providing services to veterans.
6. How long should I plan on being in TRiO Veterans Upward Bound before I am ready to go on to a post secondary school?
The answer to this question depends on several factors, including your high school preparedness, your TRiO Veterans Upward Bound assessment test scores and your internal drive to succeed. Do not shortchange yourself by planning to be in TRiO Veterans Upward Bound for just a few weeks. While some students may only require minimal work, others will want to attend classes for a longer period of time. The staff can advise you as to how long you might want to spend in our classes and when you are ready to move on to your chosen school.
7. Does TRiO Veterans Upward Bound provide financial aid?
No. Although all TRiO Veterans Upward Bound services are free to qualified students, including our academic refresher courses, we do not provide financial aid for colleges, universities or technical schools. However, we can help you with the financial aid application process and put you in contact with the appropriate financial aid officials at your prospective school.
8. Can TRiO Veterans Upward Bound help me find a job?
No. However, we do offer career counseling and resume development services.
9. Can TRiO Veterans Upward Bound help me choose a career or school?
Yes. Using a variety of career interest inventories, we will work with you to help determine what career field might be appropriate for you. We can also help you determine which school will best prepare you for your chosen field.
10. I am already in college or vocational-technical school - am I still eligible to participate in TRiO Veterans Upward Bound?
Maybe. Our services are focused on getting participants ready to enter a college, so they may not be appropriate for those already enrolled. Some schools, including UA - Pulaski Tech, have other programs such as Student Support Services, TRIO and Career Pathways which specifically serve students already enrolled. Our program does provide services to individuals who have college credit, but are not currently enrolled.
11. How is TRiO Veterans Upward Bound funded?
TRiO Veterans Upward Bound is a part of a group of programs called TRIO programs. These programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Education and serve low-income and first generation college students of varying ages. TRiO Veterans Upward Bound and Student Support Services are programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
12. I have a question not answered on this page. What should I do?
Feel free to contact us at (501) 812-2809 or e-mail [email protected] with any questions that you might have about TRiO Veterans Upward Bound.